More Organisation – Less Procrastination!
Have you ever wondered why you feel drained of your motivational energy when you procrastinate over getting things done? When you look around your home and at work, do you feel overwhelmed by the tasks you haven’t yet started or the projects that you are partway through? Putting jobs off simply saps your energy, so it’s no wonder you get so little done!
Everything that is incomplete drains energy from us and from our achieving success. It’s a bit like trying to keep plates spinning on the end of those long, bendy poles: as you get one spinning, another one begins to wobble and fall off and you spend all your time running from one to another to avoid any more from breaking. Incompletion of any sort drains energy away from our purpose: it’s like all unfinished business, messy, irritating and in need of sorting. So, to recover and channel your energy towards creating and realising your goals, it’s a great idea to organise your thinking with a view to completing the incomplete.
Here are 10 ways to become more vital in your thinking and to release more energy in your life:
1. Make a list of all the things you have to do and work through them by referring to the list daily.
2. Use an appointment calendar, refer to it often, plan your time realistically and stick to your plan.
3. Block time to clean and tidy up your house and office.
4. Clean your car, both inside and out, and then get it serviced.
5. Throw away or recycle everything you haven’t used in the past 12 months. Anything that’s not needed or out-dated, give it away or take it to the charity shop.
6. Clean up your desk. Organise and sort your personal and business papers, documents, receipts and filing systems, electronic or otherwise. Shred any papers that you no longer need to retain and then delete/dispose of all unwanted files. Good housekeeping starts with a clear inbox!
7. Get your accounts balanced. Make sure to keep all your financial statements (Income & Expenditure / Profit & Loss Accounts and Balance Sheets) up to date and ensure annual tax returns are completed in plenty of time.
8. Pay all your bills or make arrangements and/or agreements as to when you are going to pay them, then ensure that you keep to those agreements.
9. Make a list of everyone who owes you any money or anyone who has borrowed anything from you. Write or call to ask for the money (or the item) borrowed and ensure that this is followed up. Otherwise, simply cross the person’s name off the list and decide that the issue is now fully resolved.
10. Make a list of all the things you have started and not yet completed, plus all things that have been on-going for far too long. Block time to complete these jobs or cross them off and decide not to do them. Do only those jobs you know you can and then delegate the rest.
These 10 tips (if they don’t kill you in your rush to get them all done at the same time!), will free up the mind so that you can focus on fully realising your goals. The energy released will surprise and delight you!